Wednesday, February 14, 2007

17 Years Ago Today...

17 years ago today I was pacing the floor of the OLD Red Cross Hospital(built before WW2) in Osaka City, awaiting the birth of my first child, who turned out to be Cody Christopher. He came into this world a healthy 9 lbs 10-11 oz at about 6:30 PM.

I was 26. Deborah, my wife, was 20. The night before, we had picked up Deborah's parents at the only international airport the Osaka area had at the time ( now there are at least 3 ). There were no Toys 'R Us/Babies 'R Us in Japan at the time so they brought a mountain of baby stuff from both our home churches and all our family members. We filled the trunk of our ToyotaCorolla, packed the rest of the stuff in the back seat, wedged Deborah, tummy and all, and her mother on top of it and headed home.

I can still remember my father-in-laws face when we got on the old freight elevator at the hospital the next day. It was complete with the accordian door, you occasionally see in old movies...at the time I thought his reaction was kind of funny. His face didn't change much when he saw the old warped flooring or all the pipes running over our heads which would be covered by suspended ceilings now-a-days.

At the time, having yet to become a parent, it never occurred to me that my mother-in-law and father-in-law were either people of GREAT faith in God or totally CRAZY, to allow me, a pig farmer from Southern Illinois, to drag their daughter half way around the world for such an experience.

It never occurred to me that even though we needed a translator for the monthly doctor visits, (THANKS Kazuyo Mukumoto !) having a baby "in another language" might be difficult.

It never occurred to me...the list is endless of the things I never once thought about or worried about...It just never occurred to me...

As I started this post I was thinking this might be a "tribute" to my number one son...who has grown up to be a handsome, talented, very responsible young man...HAPPY BIRTHDAY, Cody Christopher!!I am very proud of you, though I don't always show it.You will always be my favorite number #1 son, just like the song says!!

As I wrote I began to feel it should be more of a tribute to my mother and father-in-law who have made me feel nothing but loved and accepted even though I took their only daughter and kept the subsequent 4 grandkids half way around the world. I could never have gotten better in-laws...Mom and Pop you all are the greatest!!

Then, I realized this should be a tribute to the wonderful woman who made all this possible by coming to Japan with me when she was only 19. Deborah, who has had to weather the biggest storms and put up with the most difficulties of anybody.

Having all her babies, doing most of her transition to an adult and all of her ministry and family life "in a foreign language". Away from her parents and grandparents, childhood friends and familiar surroundings.

Deborah, every single person we have touched here in Japan is a direct result of your sacrifice and faith. I could never, ever desire a better or more suitable "help-mate." You always have been and always will be the one for me ...

And finally it occured to me...this post is first and foremost a tribute to my God and Saviour...whose faithfulness in all things, at all times, to my family and I has made this post possible.

Having gone through the fire in such a tremendous way the last 2-4 years, there were times that I felt abandoned and totally a drift. There have been times that I have wondered if ANY of what my family and I have gone through was worth ANYTHING at all.

And yet here I sit today, looking back to that night 17 years ago, realizing that without His faithfulness, mercy and strength, NOTHING would have come of ours lives. And I finally realize it is all "to the praise of the glory of HIS GRACE". (Ephesians 1:6)

And so this posting ends as I pray a prayer of thanks to You my Creator,God the Father, and the Savior of my Soul, who lay Your life down in exchange for mine, the Lord Jesus.

There is no way I could ever repay the debt that I owe You for the last 17 years of love, mercy, patience and guidance...I have finally given up trying. And that is the glory of Your grace.

No comments: